OccupyOurHomes.org is a website maintained by Citizen Engagement Lab (“Occupy Our Homes”).
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from our email list, you may do so by completing this form: http://act.engagementlab.org/cms/unsubscribe/unsubscribe
How We Use Your Information
When you register, contribute, sign up to volunteer, create a petition, sign a petition or take any other action on our site, we may ask you to give us contact information, including your name, address, telephone number and/or e-mail address. We may obtain information about you from outside sources and add it to or combine it with the information we collect through this site.
If you sign a petition posted on this site, make a contribution, or sign up to volunteer or take any other action through this site:
- We will use your contact information to operate this site, send you news and information to you about the Occupy Our Homes movement, solicit your participation in Occupy Our Homes programs, events and activities, and obtain and confirm RSVP’s to events and programs. We use your e-mail address to send such information by e-mail and may use your telephone number to call you for these purposes.
- Your e-mail address will be shared with the petition creator, and the petition creator will be free to contact you by e-mail in his/her discretion.
- At the option of the petition creator, you may be provided with the petition creator’s e-mail address, so that you can communicate with him or her.
- Your e-mail address may be shared with one or more of the allied organizations displayed on the home page of this site, in order to allow those organizations to contact you to ask about your interest in participating in programs, activities and actions sponsored by those organizations, when we determine (in our sole judgment) that those programs, activities and actions are consistent with the values and objectives of Occupy Our Homes.
- For petitions and surveys you have signed or completed, we treat your name, city, state, and comments as public information and reserve the right to share that information with anyone and to disclose it publicly in connection with the transmittal of petitions and publicizing of such petitions. For example, we may provide compilations of petitions, with your comments, to Members of Congress and/or state or local elected officials and/or legislators, the media and/or other entities to which a petition is directed (a corporation or organization). We will not make your street address publicly available, but we may transmit that address to the official or entity to whom or which a petition is directed. We may also make your comments, along with your first name, city, and state available to the press and public online.
- Except as noted above, we will not provide your e-mail address or any of your personal information to any other person or organization, for any purpose, except
- –to companies that assist us in maintaining this site or with Occupy Our Homes activities, but only for purposes of providing services to Occupy Our Homes and with the strict requirement that any such company will never itself have the right to contact you for any reason; or
- –to comply with applicable law or legal requirements (for example,, a lawful subpoena), to protect our rights or property, or to protect our supporters from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful conduct, or if we reasonably believe that an emergency involving immediate danger of death or serious physical injury to any person requires disclosure of communications or justifies disclosure of records.
If you created a petition using this site:
- Your e-mail address and personal information will be treated in accordance with the policies stated above for, “If you sign a petition posted on this site…”:
- In addition, at your option, we will provide the persons who sign your petition with your e-mail address (but no other personal information) so that they can communicate with you.
- You will be provided with the e-mail addresses, but not the other personal information, of persons who sign your petition. In certain cases, we enable you to use our tool to send individual e-mails to signers of petitions you created, to recipients of your petition, and other targets as well as letters, posts, comments or other communications to various news publications, through our website. These messages are sent in your name, with your e-mail address as the return address and your full name and contact information is provided as part of the submission. These messages will only be sent out under your name as you approve them on an individual basis using our email tool. You are solely responsible for the specific message(s) you send using our email tool.
Occupy Our Homes complies with the Childrens Online Privacy Protection Act. Occupy Our Homes does not solicit and does not accept personally identifying information from any person under 13 years of age. Visitors to this site who are under 13 years of age should not use this site except under the supervision and with the assistance of their parent or legal guardian, and should never submit any personally identifying information to the site. For example, visitors under 13 years of age should not make donations or take any actions on or through this site.
Credit Card Information; Protection of Personal Information
When you purchase merchandise, materials or other items through this website, we collect credit card information from you. That information is used solely for processing your contribution; is not maintained by Occupy Our Homes; and is never disclosed to anyone, for any other purpose other than for processing your contribution, under any circumstances.
Occupy Our Homes uses industry standard security measures to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of the information under our control. Our server is located in a locked, secure environment. All supplied credit card information is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and then encrypted into our payment processing provider’s database. Permission to access your information is granted only to you and Occupy Our Homes employees or contractors who need to know that information to provide services to you and who are required to keep the information confidential. Although we make good faith efforts to store information collected by this website in a secure operating environment, we cannot guarantee complete security.
Cookies and Data Tracking
We may also use third-party services such as Google Analytics. This helps us understand traffic patterns and know if there are problems with our website. We may also use embedded images in emails to track open rates for our mailings, so that we can tell which mailings appeal most to Occupy Our Homes supporters.
URLs contained in emails may contain an ID that enables us to correctly identify the person who takes an action using a web page. We use these URLs to simplify the process of signing petitions and filling out surveys. We may occasionally present a shortened URL that references a longer URL which contains an id—we do this to simplify the display, to prevent links from becoming broken when copied, and to ensure compatibility with email programs which do not handle long URLs. When a shortened URL is displayed in an email, you will see the full URL in the browser’s address bar when you access the page.
We may place online advertising with third-party vendors, including Google, which will be shown on other sites on the internet. In some cases, those third-party vendors may decide which ads to show you based on your prior visits to the site. At no time will you be personally identified to those third-party vendors, nor will any of the information you share with us be shared with those third-party vendors. If you prefer to opt out of the use of these third-party cookies on the site, you can do so by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative opt out page.
Links to Other Sites
The privacy policies and practices contained in this Privacy Statement do not apply to ANY external links. This Privacy Statement only applies to our site or any future sites that we may develop. It does not cover sites (including sites of Allies) that are linked to by this site or sites for which we are not responsible (“linked-sites”). These linked-sites will have their own policies and practices which may be different from ours. We therefore encourage you to familiarize yourself with the policies and practices of the linked-sites, especially if you provide personal information to them.
California Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
Occupy Our Homes complies with the California Online Privacy Protection Act. Was part of that Act, all users of our site may make any changes to their information at any time by logging into their Control Panel and going to the “Edit Profile” page. Changes to billing and/or credit card information must be made through Occupy Our Homes staff and may be initiated by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
Amendments and Consent to This Privacy Statement
We retain the right to amend or otherwise update this Privacy Statement at any time. By using our site, you consent to the collection and use of the information as we have described. If we change our policies and practices, we will post the changes in our Privacy Statement so that you are always aware of them. With this knowledge, you can make an informed decision about whether you wish to provide personal information to us.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, you may contact us by:
- Sending a e-mai lto : email@example.com
- Telephone: 510-875-2135
- Sending a letter to: Risha Jameson, 5111 Telegraph Ave. Box #311, Oakland, CA 94609